Description - HOTEL U ZLATÉHO KOLA
Hotel The Golden Wheel (U Zlateho Kola), from category 4 star Prague hotels, is situated directly in Nerudova Street, thus in the most well-known and picturesque spot in the Lesser Quarter (Mala Strana). It’s right here that the so-called Kralovska cesta (Royal Mile, or King’s Road led), travelled by all Czech kings to their crowning in the St. Vitus Cathedral. Passing by palaces of nobility, merchants’ shops and mysterious arcades, you will get to us while walking the same ancient stone-paved route.
Hotel The Golden Wheel - romantic accommodation in Prague centre
- The building The Golden Wheel Hotel stands in Nerudova Street, which has preserved its baroque character to this day, including original building signs, and remains as the most beautiful route up to the Prague Castle. It was originally named Ostruhova (Spur) Street, apparently because while riding its uphill slant on a horse, one often had to use spurs. The writer Jan Neruda, after whom the street is now named, lived near our hotel, at the house U Dvou Sluncu (The Two Suns).
- The first records of a building at this location go back all the way to the end of the 15th Century. In 1541, after a major fire destroyed almost three quarters of the Lesser Quarter in three hours, the building “The Golden Wheel” underwent a through renovation.
- At the end of the 17th Century, the building was owned by the painter Kristian Dittman, who performed another major renovation and also added another floor. Roughly a hundred years later, in 1814, the building is already mentioned in the Land Registry as having four floors and from that time onwards has stayed practically unchanged.
- You can see this for yourself on Langweil’s unique model of Prague from the years 1826 – 1835 at the Prague City Museum.
- Old Prague has its unique magic, and with us you can enjoy it to its fullest. Imagine falling asleep in a baroque house located below castle walls, under an historical open-beam ceiling decorated with paintings... Or sitting in a garden terrace with a cup of coffee, and admiring the Prague Castle from an unusual perspective. All this is offered to you by the small, cosy and romantic hotel, U Zlateho Kola (The Golden Wheel).
The Golden Wheel Praha - hotel room
Small, romantic “family” type hotel offers Prague accommodation in 17 luxurious rooms. Each room has its characteristic and unique charm, thanks to authentic historical details such as vaulted ceilings, stone door frames, beautiful painted ceiling beams or stuccoed baroque ceilings.
From the hotel’s upper floors or from an all-glass balcony lookout you can feast your eyes on a view of the Prague Castle, or also Petrin Park with its lookout tower and the typical red roofs of Lesser Quarter houses. An antic outside staircase will lead you into a small garden attached to the old walls of the Prague Castle, where you can relax in a pleasant, restful atmosphere.